Thursday, December 4, 2008

Freedom!

After much toil, I have arranged to rent a car for next week. This will give me more freedom than I have ever experienced here in Ghana. This will be the first time I will not have to rely on Charles, a taxi or trotro to take me around. I will still be limited in where I can go because I wont be taking the car into the capital, Accra. There is a police barrier on the main road headed to town and they would likely pull me over and force me to pay them some money to let me go. (The police are notorious for taking kickbacks and a foreigner is a potential gold mine for them)

My friend Nathaniel, who arrived on Tuesday evening, will be splitting the cost of the car. It worked out to be a little under $15USD a day. This will allow me to drive out to the bush a bit more in search of school sites as well as let me drive to the beach at any time. I kinda wish I had the car starting today but we really don't have much use for it till Monday.

This weekend we have some fun things planned.

Friday night we are going to go to a club around Kasoa/Liberian Refugee Camp with Amos and his friends. (Amos is the head attendant at Zappo, Internet Cafe). Saturday we are going to go into Accra and explore. I have a few things I need to pick up and Nathaniel hasn't yet seen the Capital. On Saturday night we are thinking of finding a club in town to hang out at unless we are exhausted.

Sunday!! Sunday is Election Day here in Ghana. Nathaniel and I are going to try and stop by some of the campaign offices to see whats buzzing as well as view some of the local polling stations. Becky, Charles' wife is a National Prisons Officer and will be maintaining security at one of the polling stations so we will be able to have VIP access to watch as the votes come in. I am excited to see who wins the presidency. You can read a bit about the candidates on my earlier post: There is no escape

1 comment:

Amy said...

Ok, how come your car costs half as much as the one we rented when I was there? Now I'm jealous of all the potential beach time you're going to get!!