Monday, December 1, 2008

Morning Walks

Every morning I walk from my hotel to Charles house. It takes about 20-25 min but it is a nice way to get the blood flowing, unfortunately by the time I get to the house I am sweating like a Christmas chicken, as they say.

Today, as I walked to the main road from the hotel I had two encounters. The first was with a man who was talking to himself and decided that it might be more entertaining to talk to me. He said he lived in Minnesota at one point. He seemed a little off but who knows. The second encounter was with a woman who expressed her love for me. Its always nice to know that someone out there loves you :).

As I round the corner and head up the main road I immediately pass a sign on the right that warns passing traffic. It states: Overspending Kills! Over three people have died here. A big Toyota logo is just below the text. Advertise and advice in one stroke. Just opposite the Toyota sign is a rubbish heap that is usually burning (including a few truck tires).

I continue up the road towards a Liberian refugee camp. Along the way I see a swath of men with pickaxes digging a trench for phone lines. One of the men yell at me "Obruni." I turn and wave. The same man then asks how I am doing in the local language. When I respond in kind, he shouts and says "Hey! Obruni Te Twi" Or the white man can speak twi! I continue on my way thinking how nice it would be for them to have a ditch-witch, but then again, they wouldn't be able to employ such a large amount of locals that way.
my local bar

When I get to the Liberian refugee camp I cross the road and head south through the "neighborhoods" to Charles' house. There are plenty of children along the way calling me out and keeping my hands in the air waving in recognition. I round a few corners and pass by my "local spot" small bar/restaurant (its not mine but i like to patronize). A few hundred meters later, I arrive at the house and start searching for the coolest location to hang out.
Charles' House

No comments: